Thursday, November 9, 2017

Story: You Only Have One Match Riddle


I like this riddle a lot, I've heard it for many years and I can still recall it quite well. Let's see if you can figure it out? You're in a dark room and you must need light to survive the night. There is an oil lamp to your left, a furnace to your center, and a stove to your right. You only have one match, what do you light first? 

I like this riddle as it reminds me of teachers asking people to write why they got the answer they came up with, except this isn't as asinine to say why. Why does any of three have any priority over another? Why the oil lamp and not the furnace? Why the furnace and not the stove? Even if you could reason one versus the other, the answer is always the same. You light the match first. 

11 comments:

  1. LOL- I remember this from years ago, too, Adam. I love the way people reason it out though. lol Have a great Thursday- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard it before but for some reason the correct answer just popped into my head. Proud of myself because usually I never get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duh! I figured the stove because from there you could light the other two. I love these kinda jokes. My favorite is what colors do you paint the sky and sun? (The sky blue and the sun rose.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahah! I have heard the joke before but wasn't quick enough to remember before I looked at the solution. Darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you got me! I wouldn't have thought of the match...LOL

    ReplyDelete