Friday, November 3, 2017

Story: Thick Paint

When I first started working in a paint department, I had a lot to learn as it is was an area with a lot of different paints, stains, applicators, solvents, methods etc to it. So the first few months, you try to help people as best as you can. One guy came in asking for "thick paint" which is still one of the dumbest things I've ever heard for someone to want. A paint's thickness does not guarantee coverage or durability, some of the better paints I've known were sort of thin and rolled really smooth.  

I didn't know much at the time as a newbie, but I figured he wanted "thick paint" for a reason and I had guessed that maybe he wanted a porch paint. I tried to ask him what he was wanting it for and he yells "Can you get me someone who knows what they're talking about?" and this was the point where I wanted to tell the guy to go somewhere else and some other un-polite things. But you can't really do that in retail, so a co-worker named Joey who helped on weekends gave him some paint and he walked off happy. I recalled exactly what Joey gave him months later and it wasn't even a "thick" paint as I had rolled it myself.  

10 comments:

  1. Joey was experienced enough in retail just to fob off any old thing on him! Your mistake was trying to give him good service, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working in retail can be a trying experience. I also sold paint, and I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an unpleasant start for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for not losing your cool. There can be some really rude people and it is usually because they don't know what they want themselves and embarrassed to have to ASK or help. LOL-thick paint!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I refuse to work with the public. There are some real jerks out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I work with the public too and it can be tough, specially when you have to hold your tongue!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I worked in paint department for years..my biggest peeve besides men thinking I wouldn't know anything cause I was a woman(fuckthem) was someone coming in and asking for 'beige'...then showing them 72 different various swatches off off whites and then saying but none of them say beige..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a fun experience for you, Adam! I'm glad that I never had to work in retail, although being a public school teacher had its own challenges!

    ReplyDelete